On Mon, Feb 18, 2008 at 03:25:03PM -0500, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> What would break if in non-altivec ABI all Altivec registers are either
> fixed (-mno-altivec) or call-used (-maltivec)?

I still suggest that the correct choice is to use the same set of
call-used and call-saved registers without the AltiVec ABI as we do
with it.  Which has no affect with -mno-altivec, but requires some
prologue work with -maltivec -mabi=no-altivec.  After that, whether
the default ABI is AltiVec or not does not much matter to GCC.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery