David Edelsohn wrote:

        The patch was suppose to enable -mabi=altivec when -maltivec is
enabled, not change the default ABI.

OK.

If I understand correctly, then, this is going to be an ABI break for 32-bit Power GNU/Linux users using an AltiVec CPU (like 970). In particular, if I have code that I compiled with -mcpu=970 (and no other options) with GCC 4.2, it's not going to be link-compatible with code compiled in the same way for GCC 4.3. Is that right? Is that still true if I didn't use AltiVec extensions (whether via the AltiVec PEM syntax or via GCC's vector extensions)? In other words, is "plain" C code going to be incompatible?

I understand that without making some kind of change things are just plain broken. And, I'm not making a judgment as to the desirability of making a change, but I'd like to understand what we're doing and what impact it might have on the various stakeholders.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery