* Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote on Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 06:56:35PM CET:
> Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

>> The build compiler may not be gcc and may not understand -MT and -MMD.
>
> Yes, I know. But how can I avoid that?

Use depcomp.  Rather than explaining how to do that, it's easier if you
wait until Tom puts the depcomp support code in the tree, then use it
the same way the other stuff will.

>> Wasn't there a proposal to use depcomp in gcc a while ago?
>
> What is depcomp exactly?

A compiler wrapper that helps to do dependency computation as a
side-effect of compilation.  IIRC it first appeared in Automake
(though its authors are also GCC developers, I'm not sure who
initiated it).

>> mkdir -p is not portable, use $(mkinstalldirs).
>
> Is $(mkinstalldirs) usable for non-installed directories?

Yes.

> (in other  words, it does not do any chown or chmod?

Exactly.

Cheers,
Ralf