Thanks for your understandable summary.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Brian Dessent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> There was one additional solution discussed: disable libtool's checking
> of dlopen() for newlib targets:
> <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2007-11/msg01560.html>  I think
> everyone agreed that this was a suitable compromise, and that the way
> forward was to revert the libgloss hacks, implement the config.cache
> idea as an optional alternative, and commit the patch to disable
> dlopen() checking on newlib.

That works. After replacing AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN with

  if test "x${with_newlib}" != "xyes"; then
    AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
  fi

and running autoconf I was able to build six different newlib targets.

> However nothing seemed to ever actually get committed: neither that
> above patch nor the config.cache one seem to have made it into the
> tree.  I think the thread had diverged somewhat into people discussing
> if and how it would be possible to make other target libraries more like
> libstdc++ so that they could more easily build for bare metal newlib
> targets too.  In all of that noise, nobody seems to have committed
> anything, and it looks like 4.3.0 went out the door meanwhile.

Can anybody put at least one patch in? The above one works fine for me.

Too bad GCC 4.3.0 fails to inline functions correctly. Only O0 and O1
work, O2 and O3 produce erroneous code.
So I will stick with 4.2.3 for a while.

Hans