On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 04:56:52PM -0700, Alexandra (Sasha) Fedorova wrote:
> I was wondering anyone knows any details of the gcc port for Solaris/x86.
> I am wondering, if I have an executable compiled with gcc for Linux and an
> executable compiled with the same gcc (same version, same options) for
> Solaris, how similar would those executables be? I understand that the
> code running in shared libraries and system calls will be different, but
> it seems that the rest (user-level) code should be the same, since it is
> generated by essentially the same compiler. What do you think?

It's the same compiler, other than a very tiny amount of OS-specific code.
The "config" subdirectory isolates OS-specific code; if you want details,
you could check out the files in that directory beginning with "sol2".

(If you aren't prepared to dive into the source you're probably on the
wrong list and might find gcc-help more appropriate, this is the
development list for the compiler itself).

It seems that the biggest differences are:

* wchar_t and wint_t are different;
* support for either the Sun or GNU linkers;
* support for Solaris pragmas.