Robert Millan wrote:
Hi Ian,

On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 07:28:19PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
However, I think a C# frontend would be too much work for one student
during the summer.

Do you think it can be broken down?  My understanding of compilers is very
narrow (although I expect to improve it at some point).

Maybe a subset of the syntax could be defined by a set of test cases?

One possibility would be to write a CLR front-end (probably similar in scope to the gcj's java bytecode front-end). That way you could use existing (C#,C++,VB...) --> CLR compilers. This would kill the entire .NET bird with one stone.

Since there is perhaps a larger effort required to implement the runtime support you would still have a lot of work to do after the basic compiler was implemented.

David Daney