Dave Korn wrote:
[ ... lots of exciting commentary on scientific method/etc.
  that I leave out for the protection of the innocent ... ]

Huzzah! Way to stick it to the man! :-) :-)

>   This VU falls massively far below the standards we have come to
expect
> from CERT, and should be withdrawn and reworked from scratch

Good idea, although they already did rework it, and I doubt
they're going to withdraw it when it really is a potential
vulnerability that was apparently detected in the wild.

Looking through the new version, it doesn't seem all that
bad to me. The only problem is the GCC note, which has an
untempered recommendation to consider old versions. That
warning is still misguided, but you're not going to get
very far trying to say it is entirely wrong. There *may
be* someone that could be negatively affected by moving
to a new version, and RCS has implied that they can name
a case where this is true. Maybe we can convince them to
temper the warning, I guess. [I mean really, changing the
compiler in any way could trigger vulnerabilities if you
have no idea what you're shoving into it. If you cannot
depend at all on the quality of your code, test it well
and never recompile it. But that path can easily devolve
into a religious debate.]

Meanwhile, there is an opportunity for a vendor response
that will be added verbatim. Is anyone working on one for
GCC? I think that would go a long way.

gsw