Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

The R in CERT is "Response" (at least it used to be; I can't find an
expansion on their web site...).  They're responding to a problem that
was reported to them, and alerting others to the problem.  We can
argue about the details, but not about the need to respond.

I agree.

I am not happy about some of the ways in which CERT has singled out GCC in this situation. That said, warning people that applications that use a particular style of security check are broken is a perfectly reasonable thing to do, especially given that the broken security check is known to be present in real-world applications. In fact, warning people that such code worked with GCC X, but not GCC X+1, is useful; some people may not be able to audit the code, but may be able to control whether or not they upgrade to a new compiler, and this is useful data for those people. But, it should be made clear that switching from GCC to icc (or whatever) is not a solution, since many of those compilers also do the optimization. (Never mind the risks that making a major change to your build environment entails...)

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery