Dear Reader,

A few years ago I had already posted a question about implementing a
metrication tool in GCC, i.e. a tool that can measure several metrics
from the source code. Examples could be, the number of variables,
number of multiplications, number of loops, number of functions, etc.
At that time I needed that information for a Hardware Estimation Model
I was building for my MSc. Thesis
(http://ce.et.tudelft.nl/~rmeeuws/thesis.pdf). I was pointed to the
ELSA compiler frontend which suited my purposes just fine...

However, currently in my PhD work I have to take the model several
steps further... First, I need to increase the models accuracy. One
source of inaccuracy is that the metrics I use are determined at a
very high level, i.e. I am counting operations that are removed by
optimizations, like constant propagation, common subexpression
elimination, dead code removal, etc. Therefore I need to measure some
of the metrics at a lower level, which I aim to do using GCC, because
in time the hardware generator (from c code) we use at our department
will probably be moved to GCC at some point as well.

So here is what I would like to know: what kind of metrics could I
measure at e.g. GIMPLE level, and what steps do I need to take to
implement a pass for GIMPLE to measure the needed values?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide,

with Kind Regards,

Roel

Roel Meeuws
PhD. Student
Delft University of Technology
Faculty of Electrical Engineering Mathematics and Computer Science
Computer Engineering Laboratory
Mekelweg 4, 2628 CD Delft, The Netherlands
Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Office: HB 16.290
Office phone: +31 (0)15 27 82 165
Mob. phone: +31 (0)6 10 82 44 01