Thanks for the speedy reply. But why this code:

        int a = 17, b = 16;
        a = a++ % 16;

Huh? Now you got me confused. Since it is an undefined behaviour, gcc is free to whatever it likes.

Sure, but if you ask gcc to signal a warning, it is supposed to do so. :-) It is a bug that gcc with -Wsequence-point signals a warning for "a = a++ % 16" but not when you use abc.a.

Though the answer given by the first and second examples show inconsistency in gcc in handling the undefined behaviour.

That's not a problem. GCC does not have to be consistent. But both should be warned about.

I can't forward to gmane.comp.gcc.devel newsgroup with my account.

No problem, you can delete it.

Paolo