On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 00:45 -0700, David Miller wrote:
> > How many core does your main development machine have?
>
> 8 cores and 8 cpu threads per core on one, 64 cpus total.
> 16 cores and 8 cpu threads per core on another, 128 cpus total.
>
> It still takes an hour or so to bootstrap on these machines because
> the individual cpu threads are slow and individual expensive
> compilations become the bottleneck, especially in the libjava build.

Did you measure how long insn-attrtab.o generation takes?
See my other email, on a 2.2 GHz barcelona it's about 5mn20s (for each
stage) and it's the main limiting factor (but I assume it's architecture
dependant).

> And the way the testsuite works it can't even come close to using
> even a significant fraction of those cpus.

Ada ACATS testsuite is pretty easy to parallelize, I've never done it
because it's not enabled by default so it doesn't affect many people.
For dejagnu I don't know but since it's never been done I assume it must
be hard to do.

Laurent