Vincent Lefevre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> But that in turn does not matter, as if any non-gcc compiler *did* use
>> the gcc preprocessor, it would do so via gcc -E.  In gcc, the
>> preprocessor is not a separate program.
>
> But in any case, there's a separate preprocessor: cpp. And perhaps cpp
> shouldn't define __GNUC__.

You're right, there is a program which appears to be a separate
preprocessor.  In actual fact, that program is just gcc under a
different name.

I think it would be reasonable to argue that that program should not
define __GNUC__ by default.  I don't actually know which choice people
would find more surprising.  And unfortunately I also don't know how
to find out.

Ian