Mohamed Shafi wrote:
2008/7/15 Ramana Radhakrishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
<snipped parts of the last mail>

  I agree with you, but what about when there are still caller save
register are available and there are no register restrictions for any
instructions? In my case i find that GCC has used only the argument
registers, stack pointer and callee saved registers. So out of the 16
available registers ony 5+1+4 registers were used, even though there
was 6 caller save registers were available

Check your REG_ALLOC_ORDER macro ?

  The order is argument registers, caller save registers and finally
the callee save registers.

Are there instructions that only work on the callee-save registers? This might confuse regclass (the pass that decides the register class preferences).

Paolo