Daniel Berlin wrote:

I agree that, at least in principle, it should be possible to emit the debug
info (whether the format is DWARF, Stabs, etc.) once.

No, you can't.
You would at least have to emit the variables separate from the types
(IE emit debug info twice).

Yes, of course; that's what everyone is talking about, I think. "Emit" here may also mean "cache in memory some place", rather than "write to a file". It could mean, for example, fill in the data structures we already use for types in dwarf2out.c early, and then throw away the front-end type information.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery