Dennis Clarke wrote on 28 July 2008 18:54:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Paolo Carlini <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>> Dennis Clarke wrote:
>>>
>>> also, IMO, the NEWS sections says nothing useful to any human.
>>>

>> but, *some* humans like to click on the first (download) link on top.
>
> where ?
>
> It says
>
> Availability
> The releases are available at http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/glibc/ and its
> mirrors.
>
> which has glibc-2.7.tar.bz2 as the latest.
>
> hold on .. on the NEWS page I see ... okay .. how very user friendly.
> Sort of the thing one would put on the project homepage I would think.

  It's not the NEWS page; it's a link to the source of the NEWS file stored
in the glibc CVS repository.

  The gnu.org page is rather out of date, and a bit obfuscated.

  Most GNU projects have a prominent link in their gnu.org directory page to
the actual project home page; in this case it's tucked away on the
"resources" page in the "Project website" section.  (Oh, and it still points
to "sources.redhat.com", which is a sign of just how out-of-date that
gnu.org page really is...)

  Follow that link, and you'll see the *real* project home, with the real
news and the real latest-release info, and the real list of mailing lists,
and the wiki, and ...

    cheers,
      DaveK