Mark Mitchell wrote:
Obviously, distributors can do whatever they please, but the C++
run-time library needs to tolerate CPUs without this feature.  It can of
course offer reduced functionality (at compile-time or at run-time) on
CPUs without the necessary support.
As far as I'm concerned, I totally agree on both accounts. Maybe was not clear in this thread, but I sent the original message to point-out a *bug*, which had to be fixed, and quickly. To be safe, while waiting for the fix, I even reverted completely the new feature.

Now the C++0x feature is back in, provided only for target implementing the atomic builtins unconditionally: it works that the corresponding declarations do *not exist* in <exception> if the prerequisites are not met.

Paolo.