> My knowledge of backend and RTL  in general is very limited and I have
> no clue what m32c-elf architecture is and don't seem to have access to
> any such system.

m32c-elf is one of the many embedded (i.e. cross-compiled) targets
which has a simulator.  You don't need to have access to physical
hardware.  See:

http://gcc.gnu.org/install/specific.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/backends.html

> From the logs I see that the testsuite probably uses a
> cross-compiled gcc?  How do you configure gcc to get such a beast?

Like any other cross compiler:

./configure --target=m32c-elf --with-newlib

Note that you'll have to build (and install, of course) a
cross-binutils first, then build a cross-gcc (libgcc will fail to
build), then cross-build and install newlib, then build cross-gcc
again (it will work this time) and install it.

To get the simulator, you then build a cross-gdb.