Laurent GUERBY wrote:
> Just curious: is there a "portable" way to read from memory
> address zero in C code? "portable" here means likely to work
> on most compilers without exotic compile flags in 2009.

For C++, in *theory*, a reinterpret_cast<void*>(0) yields a pointer with
the value 0 that is not recognized as the null pointer.

For C and C++, the same thing can be achieved by casting an integer
variable with the value 0 to a pointer. (You only get the null pointer
constant by casting an integral constant expression with value 0.)

In practice, i.e. under your definition of portable, I have no idea.

Sebastian