Dear all,

I'm currently working on removing the constant folding and constant
propagation because, on the architecture I'm working on, it is highly
costly to move a constant into a register if the number is big (we can
say over 16 bits).

Currently, I've been looking into this and it seems that I have to
hack into the fold-const.c file, CCP, SCCVN and probably the propagate
passes to tell the compiler to be careful if the number is too big.
But I'm sure there are many other places I'll have to hack and slash
to tell him to stop the folding and propagation. Is there an easier
way to do this ?

I've been looking at what happens for the Itanium since you'd have the
same problem if you had to use big numbers. You would in theory prefer
to not use too many move long instructions since they use two slots in
the bundle. But I fail to see if anything is really done in that
respect.

Thanks for your help,
Jean Christophe Beyler