On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Tim Prince
<timothypri...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Software developers I deal with use gcc because it's a guaranteed included
> part of the customer platforms they are targeting.  They're generally
> looking for a 20% gain in performance plus support before adopting
> commercial alternatives.  The GUIs they use don't live up to the
> advertisements about ease of use.  This doesn't necessarily put them in
> either of Jeff's camps.

In some ways it is a synthesis of Jeff's camps or creates the foundation
supporting Jeff's camps.  I see a strong interest in GCC because of its
portability and wide deployment.  For instance, use of GCC as a compatibility
layer -- a consistent implementation of standards across all platforms.  That
simplifies availability and creation of the ecosystem.

Separately, I think some companies are beginning to appreciate FOSS tools
as a new delivery mechanism to create and deploy new standards.

David