On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 03:19:19PM -0700, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2009, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
> > * Test starting the bootstrap with earlier versions of the compiler to
> >   see which C++ compiler version is required, and document that.
>
> I think the right approach is not documenting observations like that, but
> investigating the causes of failures with older compilers and making it
> build with as wide a range of versions of GCC (and ideally at least one
> non-GCC C++ compiler, probably an EDG-based one such as the Intel
> compiler) as is reasonable.

Microsoft's and Sun's compilers would be more likely to run into issues,
particularly Sun's; Sun has had a policy of preferring solid backward
compatibility to standards compliance, so I've tended to have more
problems getting correct, standard C++ to run on their compiler than on
others.  This is particularly true of template-based code and nested
classes.