On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 06:30:44AM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> Bradley Lucier <luc...@math.purdue.edu> writes:
>
> > I've never seen the answer to the following question:  Why do some
> > versions of gcc that I build not have string substitutions in error
> > messages?
>
> Perhaps you configured with --disable-intl?
>

> > So, is -fschedule-insns an option to be avoided?
>
> -fschedule-insns should be avoided on Intel architectures.  In general
> -fschedule-insns tends to increase register lifespan, and because of the
> small number of available registers this can sometimes befuddle the
> register allocator, especially when asm instructions as used.

When I worked at AMD, I was starting to suspect that it may be more beneficial
to re-enable the first schedule insns pass if you were compiling in 64-bit
mode, since you have more registers available, and the new registers do not
have hard wired uses, which in the past always meant a lot of spills (also, the
default floating point unit is SSE instead of the x87 stack).  I never got
around to testing this before AMD and I parted company.

--
Michael Meissner, IBM
4 Technology Place Drive, MS 2203A, Westford, MA, 01886, USA