Eric Blake wrote:
> Dave Korn <dave.korn.cygwin <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>
>>   No problem, thanks for worrying about it.  Are there any particular
>> recommendations about/against problematic separator characters in the 's'
>> command?  I was going to use an '@'.
>
> The Autoconf manual suggests using 's|||' rather than 's,,,',

  Where?  Not in the section about sed under 'Limitations of Usual Tools' in
the 2.64 info page, as far as I can see.

> since ',' and '@'
> can both occur in unquoted filenames, but '|' cannot.

  I can't grok that.  In what context could there ever be a confusion between
a sed script and a filename?  What about having a file with an "@" in the name
in the current directory would cause sed to do anything different with a -e
script containing an 's' expression using "@" as a separator?  I must be
feeling a bit slow this afternoon.

    cheers,
      DaveK