On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 10:46:29PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:

> >     gets from the linker.  Since the linker plugin is a shared
> >     object, and it uses libiberty functions, it needs to use a
> >     shared libiberty.
>
> Why can't they just link a static libiberty?

This comment from opcodes/configure.in is relevant

# When building a shared libopcodes, link against the pic version of libiberty
# so that apps that use libopcodes won't need libiberty just to satisfy any
# libopcodes references.
# We can't do that if a pic libiberty is unavailable since including non-pic
# code would insert text relocations into libopcodes.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM