> To make the above work first the external tools have to add the
> capabilities, just implementing it in GCC doesn't work for us.

Ok, but there's more to building software, than just building rpms.

For example I can definitely see a common use case where a program
is built with line number and unwinding information, but not with types.
Or types are only generated partially using a special "debug file".

And for that it would be best if gcc simply didn't generate unnecessary
information and minimizes IO and disk space requirements.

iirc there was even a patch in this direction from Frank Ch. Eigler

-Andi

--
a...@linux.intel.com -- Speaking for myself only.