Quoting Joel Sherrill <joel.sherr...@oarcorp.com>:
The code on the trunk is unbuildable and has been
for a long time. I'm not an arc user but wonder if it is better to have
functional
code on the trunk without a maintainer since it is available than
non-functional
code on the trunk without a maintainer. :)

It depends on some patches outside the arc directory.  Some submitted as
separate patches, some not, but none of them reviewed.  Some documentation
is incomplete or not written yet (.texi patches tend to cost more effort
merging long-term than to write).

You'd also need another version of binutils for ARCompact support -
this is available as binutils-arc-20081103-branch on sourceware, but not
fully up to GNU coding standards.

If merged, I will at least volunteer to build it once and run
the tests if a free simulator is available.

Yes, a Free simulator is available on sourceware with the tag
arc-sim-20090309 .