Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Basile STARYNKEVITCH <bas...@starynkevitch.net> writes:

* propose a simple patch to add the PLUGIN_REGISTER_PRAGMA event now?

Do this.

Will do probably tommorow or this evening!

On the other hand, skimming your list of hooks, I really question the
need for, e.g., REPLACE_PASS_MANAGER.  I would want to see a real use
case there before adding such a hook.

From several face to face discussions with ICI CTuning people (that it Grigori Fursin, Albert Cohen, Zbignew Chamski; all 3 are in CC of this reply) I understood that GCC ICI is exactly doing that: it has replaced GCC pass manager by its own, which invokes all the existing GCC passes in some better order (or better number of invocation) and produces better generated code (the tuning is done by machine learning techniques; they did run their modified GCC a large number of times and did build a database of measures.).

I cannot explain more in details what GCC ICI is actually doing. I hope my ICI friends will answer here. Perhaps even Zbignew's latest patches are related to the answer.

Regards.