On 01/07/2010 11:42 AM, Richard Guenther wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Andrew Haley <a...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 01/06/2010 07:24 PM, Joshua Haberman wrote:
>>

>> The response I think you may get is that this is already settled.
>> I've seen this same argument many times (in mailing lists and in
>> comp.lang.c) over the last decade or so, and the result has always
>> been the same.
>
> But I still can't find proper language in the standard that restricts
> pointer dereference nor pointer conversion (apart from the alignment
> issue, but that's only where it constraints bijectivity of pointer
> conversion).

In every discussion that I have seen, the wording in 6.3.2.3 Para 7
has been deemed to be sufficient to constrain pointer conversion in
all cases: the wording there has always been interpreted as "these are
the only things you have permission to do; everything else is
forbidden."  It may be that there is some other way to interpret that
section, but I doubt that the TC will take such a view.  Perhaps a
non-normative footnote would help.

Andrew.