On 02/25/2010 08:07 AM, Uros Bizjak wrote:
On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:00 AM, Jason Merrill<ja...@redhat.com>  wrote:
On 02/18/2010 07:46 PM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Jason Merrill wrote:

I periodically get bitten by bug 34115: a compiler configured without
--with-arch on i686-pc-linux-gnu doesn't support atomics.  I think we
would
only need to bump the default to i486 to get atomic support.  Can we
reconsider the default for 4.5?

My position remains that configuring for i686-* should default to
-march=i686 rather than -mtune=i686.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2008-06/msg00223.html
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2008-08/msg00445.html

Perhaps someone would like to review HJ's patch to that effect?

Perhaps one of the i386 maintainers?

The default arch should be based on what _users_ expect from the
configure process, so it is IMO up to distributors and finally Release
Managers to decide.

As far as the proposed patch is concerned, I think that it is the step
in the right direction, and is OK for 4.6, but also please also add
-march=native choice. It works OK nowadays.

Since this is build patch, it also needs OK from build maintainer (CCd).

There are plenty of global reviewers in the CC list. :-)

Paolo