On 03/16/2010 12:28 PM, David Miller wrote:
> It's not the assemblers fault.
>
> We're using %hi() and expecting the assembler to emit a
> PC relative relcation just because the symbol name happens
> to be _GLOBAL_OFFSET_TABLE_  And it will do this, but only
> when -PIC.  Changing that is pretty dangerous.

It is the assembler's fault because it doesn't provide %pcrelhi() or
some such to allow the compiler (or asm programmer) to emit exactly
the relocation that's desired.

> But even if we got past that, we need to get the assembler options
> right in order to enable instruction classes.  For example we have to
> get -Av9a there when using VIS instructions.

How about ".arch v9a" like other platforms emit?

Command-line options that control what the assembler emits for
the exact same bit of text are a Really Bad Idea, as we've seen
from other platforms time and time again.

r~