On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Michael Meissner
<meiss...@linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> Note, that many hash tables are computed by the modulus operation, which is
> often fairly expensive (and on machines without a hardware divide unit,
> requiring a function call).  I would expect many switch statements would slow
> down if you switch to a hash operation that used modolus.

Hi Michael,

I agree that the cost of modulation can be high, but it can be even
higher if we use a bunch of "else if".
Consider the situation that a program has about 400 cases on a single
switch statement.

The cost of modulation will be fixed price so that there should be a
certain point that the price bis lower than else if statements.

If jump table is possible, it can be a choice, but jump table is not
always feasible depending on the values on "case".

Thank you for the reply.

Jay