On 03/26/2010 11:36 PM, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 11:27:24PM +0800, Jie Zhang wrote:
There are two calls of gen_rtx_VAR_LOCATION in cfgexpand.c. Both calls
cast a tree to rtx as the third argument. Why a tree is used in RTL
expression? Will it be transformed into RTL later or all RTL passes
should recognize it's a tree and just ignore it? Thanks.

Yes, it is just temporary.  The tree survives there just from
the calls from within expand_gimple_basic_block until the immediately
following expand_debug_locations call.

Hmmm, I found a case that gen_rtx_VAR_LOCATION is called but the tree in VAR_LOCATION does not get expanded. It's related to handling of optimize attribute. I will start a new thread for that. Thanks.

--
Jie Zhang
CodeSourcery