On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Bingfeng Mei <b...@broadcom.com> wrote:
> Something like printf (Though I read somewhere glibc extension of printf
> make it non-pure).

Surely printf writes to global memory (it clobbers the stdout FILE*)

As for the original question - novops is internal only because its
semantics is purely internal and changes with internal aliasing
changes.

Now, we still lack a compelling example to see what exact semantics
you are requesting?  I suppose it might be close to a pure but
volatile function?  Which you could simulate by

dummy = pure_fn ();
asm ("" : "g" (dummy));

or even

volatile int dummy = pure_fn ();