On Thu, 29 Apr 2010, Joel Sherrill wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking at the arm-rtems test results for the
> trunk and noticing that most failures appear to be
> for neon tests.
>
> [j...@rtbf64a gcc]$ grep ^FAIL gcc.log.sent  | wc -l
> 2203
> [j...@rtbf64a gcc]$ grep ^FAIL gcc.log.sent | grep /neon/  | wc -l
> 1986
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2010-04/msg02780.html
>
> I see that there is an arm_neon_ok check in lib/target-supports.exp
> but it only checks that neon code compiles.  It will compile but the
> target can't run it.

The vast bulk of NEON tests are compilation-only tests, not execution only
tests.  Since your failures are generally "test for excess errors" and
"internal compiler error", that indicates compilation failures that are
nothing to do with whether your target can run the code; you need to
investigate the actual errors seen.

It looks like arm-rtems may not be an EABI target.  NEON has probably not
been tested much if at all for non-EABI targets.

Vectorization tests will already test whether NEON code can be executed on
the target before trying to execute it.  The arm_neon_hw effective-target
serves that purpose for tests that genuinely need to execute NEON code.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com