On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 21:02 +0200, Steven Bosscher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The Obj-C++ front end is effectively unmaintained, and has virtually
> no serious users. I propose to remove it from GCC.

Maybe we could consider, for the putative people wanting to maintain
that frontend, to make it a plugin (or perhaps an external program
producing Gimple-syntax).

That brings a hopefully simpler, more general, and probably more
interesting question: do we have the necessary hooks to enable such a
front-end plugin? Or is the future gimple-syntax front-end becoming our
recommended way to add extra front-ends to GCC?

This is not at all (hopefully) a flame, but a a sincere question (by a
"believer" of plugins).

And I have no good perception of how difficult it is to "pluginify" or
"externalize" -thru a gimple-syntax producer program- a front-end.

If there is some way to add extra frontends in the future 4.6 thru
plugins (or thru external programs producing a Gimple-syntax
S-expression file), we have therefore an argument for any industrial
wanting Obj-C++ in GCC.

And a good machinery for external front-ends will sure help GCC, because
it would ease the work of those working on non-mainstream frontends
(like for the D language, or an hypothetical Oz, etc...).

Cheers.