On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 7:38 PM, DJ Delorie <d...@redhat.com> wrote:

> "Hargett, Matt" <matt.harg...@bluecoat.com> writes:
>>> As noted earlier I think we do want to use some STL classes.
>>
>> I agree with Mark's earlier declaration that it is relatively
>> straight-forward, low-hanging fruit to replace VEC_*
>
> I do not object to simple and obvious uses of STL to replace equivalent
> functionality, but I've seen code that layers STL over STL over STL to
> the point where the code is very difficult to understand.  Hence, my
> recommendation to avoid STL *at first*.

I think that would be most unproductive and misguided.
The first thing we should do is

    (1) resist NIH

Then
    (2) we should prefer standard solution over home-grown hacks, unless
         there is a clear demonstration of value.  For example, it would be
         unwise to prefer our current VEC_xxx over std::vector.  Conversely,
         we should probably have our own hash table, since there is none in
         C++98.

> It teaches caution against  over-abstracting and arbitrary complexity.

avoiding over-abstracting is not reached by banning standard solutions -- that
only lead to more brittle and bug-ridden hacks.

The way we avoid over-abstracting is to have people write simple codes, and
reviewers use their best judgments.