On 06/08/2010 05:42 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
>> Think about mercurial or git.  Every one can commit on his/her own
>> local repository, and "publish" his/her repository.  [...]
>
> git is an excellent tool to create and share patches. Maybe we should
> have an open gcc git mirror with gitweb and every contributor can create
> his/her own branches and publish them.

Well, we do: Goto http://repo.or.cz/w/official-gcc.git and click on "fork".

I do like Git, but Git seems to make mostly sense if you have a small
project on which you are working. If you have only a small patch (or a
collection of small and unrelated patches), it won't help much.

Additionally, I do not think that pulling from a branch will happen -
rather that one creates patches from an (published or unpublished) git
repository and submits them like normal.

Thus, I do not think it helps with patch reviewing/tracking, though I
believe it helps with developing patches.

Tobias,
who happily uses his private GCC git repository, which does not diverge
much from the git master.