David Brown <david.br...@hesbynett.no> writes:

> After doing a bit more reading and thinking, it seems to me that
> -fwhole-program will be used in most cases where LTO is used.  You use
> -flto when compiling each source file, then link them with gcc with
> -flto and -fwhole-program.  Except in the case of libraries or other
> files which need external symbols, you will want that combination to
> generate optimal code.  So if this combination alone, without common
> symbols, is going to cause problems, then this would be a much bigger
> issue than if it is only triggered by common symbols.

That scenario is fine.

You can look back to see the problematic case posted earlier.  It was
a case where one file was compiled with -flto, one file was compiled
without -flto, both files defined a common symbol with the same name,
the object files were linked together using -flto -fwhole-program, and
the gold plugin was not used.  All elements are essential to recreate
the problem.

Ian