On Thursday 05 August 2010 10:33:11 Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 5 August 2010 04:54,  <marcos_david.di...@sophia.inria.fr> wrote:
> >    so it is wrong that some projects (in particular, Boehm's GC) test
> > thread availability by looking at the output of 'gcc -v' because that
> > would be assuming that it will use the same libraries compiled along
> > with that gcc?
>
> I don't know that it's "wrong," it might just be a requirement of
> using that project that you use suitable runtime libraries that match
> the compiler used to build the project.  It's not up to GCC to decide
> other projects' requirements.

    you're right, I was asking in the general sense. from the rest of the mail
it seems that a check like that is meaningful only if you're going to use any
of the libraries that comes with gcc (which is not my case). now, is it
possible that if a project does not use libstdc++ or any other library that
comes with gcc still be affected by the thread model? for example, does it
affect the C code produced? you only mentioned that it doesn't affect on the
usage of threads.

> > also, you don't mention libc at all. is it different
>
> I have no idea, that's something you'd have to ask the libc
> maintainers, not the GCC list.

    ah, sorry, the fact that libstdc++ is part of gcc got me to think that
glibc was also, but didn't check.

> The library is called libstdc++

    yes, sorry, that's what happens when you answer technical mails (or
otherwise) at 5AM.

> Additionally, features of the library which require thread-related
> components such as mutexes will be disabed and unavailable if GCC was
> configured without a supported thread model.

    just to be sure, you're still talking about libstdc++?

--
Lic. Marcos Dione
Engineer Expert - Hop Project