Hello,
I am just trying to settle down on my PhD Computer Science dissertation
topic.  I want something low-level, compiler related, and more so
useful/practical.  I am considering region-based memory management, to show
memory efficiency and safety.  For imperative languages, such as c, this is
rather difficult from static-analysis alone (e.g. aliasing and weak-typing).
However, I do believe region-based management is possible.  If I were to take
something of this nature on for my topic, would it be valuable research, and is
it even worth the effort?  I am by far any kind of compiler guru, and figured
you all might know best.

The other option, would be to implement such concepts in a research language,
which can still be interesting, but I'm not sure how practical.

-Matt