> Well, the words on their distribution say exactly this:
>
>   GCC is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under
>   the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
>   Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option) any later
>   version.
>
> That means, we at our option can choose to release under GPL v3,
> exclusively, if we wanted.

I disagree, as I said.

My interpretation of that sentence is that "when you redistribute
this, you must give the person you redistribute it to the right to
further redistribute it under EITHER GPLv2 OR GPLv3".  Giving somebody
the right to only redistribute under GPLv3 does NOT satisfy that
requirement.