On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 12:47:34PM -0700, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> > It is not so unlikely that multiple instances of cc1, cc1plus, and f951
> > are running simultaneously.  Granted, I haven't done any measurements.
>
> Most projects are written in only one language.  Sure, there may be
> cases where cc1 and cc1plus are running simultaneously.  But I suspect
> those cases are relatively unlikely.  In particular, I suspect that the
> gain when that happens, which is really quite small, is less than the
> cost of using a shared library.  Needless to say, I also have not done
> any measurements.

Projects that use C in some places and C++ in others are common, so a
simultaneous cc1 and cc1plus run will often occur with parallel builds.
However, the mp math libraries are relatively small compared to the size
of cc1 or cc1plus so the memory savings from having one copy instead of
two are minimal.