Hi,

We are working on a new project which requires a retargetting a
compiler to a small cpu on FPGA.
The cpu is hand-coded and it supports only a limited number of instruction sets.

My questions are:

1. Since I have very limited experience with compilers (this is my
first compiler project), is it wise to begin with gcc? I have
googled-up smaller compilers like pcc, lcc and small-c and they seem
like very good candidates. However, I would like to listen to the
opinions of programmers who have worked with gcc or retargetted gcc.

2. How much is the effort in retargetting compilers? I heard it took
months but it all depends on the level of experience of the
programmer. So if an experienced programmer took 2 month, it might
have taken a beginner 6 months or so.

Thanks,
HY