> > I'd like to reiterate a request from the summit that is related to the
> > default languages discussion: Add Ada to the default languages in
> > exchange
> > for java+libjava.  It builds nicely parallel (and fairly quick), doesn't
>
> I should point out while supporting this (and, in general, supporting
> getting more front ends into the FSF tree but being selective about which
> are built by default) that we never made a deliberate decision not to
> enable Ada by default (unlike the situation with ObjC++).  It was enabled
> by default until tree-ssa was merged to trunk, at which point it was
> disabled because Ada hadn't been made to work with tree-ssa at that point.
> When Ada was fixed to work again, no-one reenabled it by default.

That's right indeed.

We mentioned once or twice the idea of reenabling it by default, but
apparently there were enough people that liked the idea of no having
Ada enabled by default, so the idea didn't go further at the time.

But now that we're discussing "trading" java+libjava for ada, I think this
makes good sense, in particular since if people don't have an Ada compiler,
configure won't enable it anyway.

Also I should mention that a few years ago, the parallel build of Ada
(in particular libada) did not work, so was disabled in the Makefile,
meaning extra build time. This has been fixed since then, and the Ada
ACATS test suite also has been modified to run in parallel.

And finally as some people have noted already, Ada exposes lots of
interesting latent bugs in the middle-end by exercising code that is
sometimes rarely used in other front-ends.

So in short, I'm in favor of this change.

Arno