On Fri, 28 Jan 2011, Simon Baldwin wrote:

> A quick question about -no-canonical-prefixes...
>
> By default, gcc calls realpath() on prefixes generated relative to
> argv[0] in the gcc driver.  If gcc is held as a "symlink farm" the
> realpath() makes it fail (absent a lot of messy -B, -L, -isytem and so
> on).  It complains about not finding cc1 or cc1plus in libexec.
>
> -no-canonical-prefixes turns off realpath() to make gcc work cleanly
> when stored this way.
>
> Does anyone know a reason why -no-canonical-prefixes could not become
> the gcc default?  Are there gcc configurations that must have the
> realpath()?  The flag is benign on normally laid out gcc
> installations.

I think the point of the default is that you can create a symlink in your
PATH to a single gcc binary in a tree installed elsewhere, and that will
work OK because the symlink is resolved before locating the rest of the
tree.  Certainly I use such symlinks for convenient access to
installations of different GCC versions.

--
Joseph S. Myers
jos...@codesourcery.com