+Mark who has done size optimization tuning with FDO.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Mike Hommey <mhom...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We (Mozilla) are trying to get the best of the ARM toolchain for our
> Android build. I recently built an Android Native-code Development Kit
> with GCC 4.6.1 and binutils 2.21.53, instead of GCC 4.4.3 and binutils
> 2.19 that come with the default NDK.
>
> LTO doesn't work at all, I'm getting an ICE that looks like the one from
> bug 41159.
>
> FDO however, works, but sadly, the resulting build is not only quite
> bigger,

Is this true for both 4.6 and 4.4 gcc? There is a bug in 4.6 that
prevents cold functions from be optimized for size with FDO. The bug
was fixed in trunk recently.

> it's also slower on some tests (the Sunspider javascript
> benchmark). While we have seen improvements on other tests (most
> notably, the V8 benchmark is much faster) by switching to GCC 4.6 (that
> is, without FDO), FDO doesn't seem to bring anything on the table. It
> even seems to bring performance regression.

ARM specific performance tuning (with FDO) seems needed.  More
parameters (e.g, in inliner related) may need to be made target
dependent.

> Note that we do our normal builds with -Os and use -O3 for FDO. As for
> architecture specific flags, we use -marmv7-a -mthumb -mfloat-abi=softfp
> -mfpu=vfp. I've attempted a -O2 build in the past with GCC 4.4 but it
> was both bigger and slower than the -Os builds.
>
> So, it pretty much looks like current aggressive optimizations hit
> current hardware limitations and are slower than builds optimized for
> size.

Yes, this is very likely. Hardware profiling will be very useful to
help identify the root cause.

> Has there been significant changes to the ARM backend that would justify
> that I try some more with current GCC HEAD? Should I maybe try some more
> with the linaro GCC branch? Are there things we can do to help getting
> better ARM performance?

It does not hurt to try it :)

Thanks,

David