> The Apple approach has both the features of the Sun/HP implementation as well
> as the ability to create a standalone debug info file.

Thanks for the clarifications. I based my comments on a description
you sent me a couple of years ago, and I apologize for any
oversimplifications I introduced.

> The compiler puts DWARF in the .o file, the linker adds some records in the
> executable which help us to understand where files/function/symbols landed in
> the final executable[1].

Did you intend to add a footnote?

>  If the user runs our gdb or lldb on one of these binaries, the debugger will
> read the DWARF directly out of the .o files on the fly.  Because the linker
> doesn't need to copy around/update/modify the DWARF, link times are very
> fast.  If the developer decides to debug the program, no extra steps are
> required - the debugger can be started up & used with the debug info still in
> the .o files.

We're trying to achieve something very similar, but we have the
additional goal of separating the info from the .o files because of
our distributed build environment. I also wanted to attempt to
standardize the approach, instead of having each vendor go in separate
directions.

Thanks,

-cary