Jonathan Wakely wrote, On 19/09/11 19:40:
On 19 September 2011 18:59, Jon Grant wrote:
Hello

I noticed that when compiling C files with GCC and using the -Werror
option, I see this additional output:

cc1.exe: warnings being treated as errors
./src/main.c: In function 'main':
./src/main.c:41:15: error: unused variable 'hello'

Is the "cc1" line output needed? Just wondering if it could be
removed. Appears superfluous.

It's not superfluous, it says that the error following might have been
a warning, except that -Werror was used.

If you don't want it you can either fix the warning or not use -Werror.

It's kind of re-iterating the command line options, that the user will choose to be aware of already. I don't recall seeing that text output before about ~1 year ago.

I'd thought because the previous line of output said "gcc -Werror -Wall -o main main.c", the options clear.

If it's really vauluble, that output could be turned on by an option itself! -Wdisplay-warning-upgrade. Leaving it off by default.

Best regards, Jon