(I heard that on Windows systems, it is often the case that the
prefix contains spaces. I believe that on GNU/Linux systems, the only
forbidden characters in file paths are the slash -used as directory
separator- and the null character, putting spaces, asterisks,
question marks, newlines or tabulations in file names is very bad
taste but probably possible.).

Right, in windows, it is NOT considered bad taste to have spaces
in file names, and in some circumstances like "Program Files" it is
quite normal. Such spaces have been a continued source of bugs in
all kinds of software including some of Microsoft development tools.