I understand that the noob traffic to gcc@ must be high.

Nonetheless...

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Basile Starynkevitch
<bas...@starynkevitch.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 03:43:20 -0800
> Jeff Evarts <rivent...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I posted this question at irc://irc.oftc.net/#gcc and they suggested
> > that I pose it here instead.
> >

> I'm not sure the question belongs to gcc@gcc.gnu.org, perhaps
> gcc-h...@gcc.gnu.org might
> be a better place.
>
> Second, if you want some crude time report, gcc -ftime-report is simpler, but
> don't give
> you a very precise information.

And shortly thereafter:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 11:34:27 -0500, Tim Prince wrote:
> On 11/20/2011 11:10 AM, Basile Starynkevitch wrote:
>>  On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 03:43:20 -0800 Jeff Evarts  wrote:
>>>  I posted this question at irc://irc.oftc.net/#gcc and they suggested
>>>  that I pose it here instead.
>>
>>  I'm not sure the question belongs to gcc@gcc.gnu.org, perhaps
>> gcc-h...@gcc.gnu.org might
>>  be a better place.
>
> If you choose to follow such advice [ed: ouch!], explaining whether other
> facilities already in gcc, e.g.
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Precompiled-Headers.html apply to your
> situation may be useful.

Apparently my question "Has anyone done X and what were the results"
has been mysteriously translated into "The GCC compiler is way too
slow and what are you lazy developers going to do to speed up my
compiles?!?". I will be more careful to shower my favorite compiler
and its contributors with praise before posting another question here.
:)

To clarify: I wanted to know if anyone had performed a profiling run
on gcc, whether that was a regular occurrence, and what the results
(if any) were.

Basile: The -ftime-report was new to me. It confirms that > 50% of the
time is spent in CPP, even on subsequent runs when the cache is
loaded.

Tim: Precompiled Headers: This certainly helps with performance, but
isn't directly useful in the "how much time is spent doing X"
direction.

Seriously, I meant no offense, and didn't want to cause a stir.

Humbly,
-Jeff Evarts

P.S.
If someone has recently built gcc with a full profiling rig and the
results are out there somewhere, I'd love a pointer. Googling
"profiling gnu gcc" et al doesn't get quite the right results.